View Single Post
Old 03-27-23, 07:30 AM   #10489
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

I hope this man is right and I am wrong. It would be better for the cause.

https://www.nzz.ch/feuilleton/marcus...&_x_tr_sl=auto

Quote:
(...)
If the propaganda is supposedly catching on so well, could it not also be that politicians in the West are losing patience, seeking an early peace, and thus thwarting your military scenario of a Russian defeat?

The military situation documents a brutal, objective reality that does not submit to political discourse. The balance of power is negotiated on the battlefield. The result is measured in destroyed systems and dead people. It sounds cruel, but that's how it is. It does not depend on the Germans or on the French, at least in the political sense. Both Scholz and Macron come from a long tradition of friendship with Russia, even though both states now support Ukraine with weapons. I don't even listen to the political discourse anymore. What counts for me are the objective facts. And I observe them in the actual fight. There is no evidence at all that the military support of the West would diminish, even if the appeasers are disproportionately received in the media.

You give the impression in this interview that Europe is very Russia-friendly. But it's the other way around: large majorities in the West are behind Ukraine.

Not yet in Germany and France. But one should not overestimate that, because Germany is not a militarily decisive power. On the contrary. Germany would do best to hand over its weapons systems in full to Ukraine. Then Russian aggression would be neutralized in reverse, and today's ailing Bundeswehr could be turned into an army for the 21st century. Fortunately, Europe's security does not depend on Germany, otherwise we would have long been part of the neo-Russian empire.

Do you see yourself as an outsider in Germany?

Fortunately, I can say that I have not spent most of my adult life in Germany and am therefore immune to the strangely emotional discussion culture there. I am alternately called a hyper-realist and a Nato warmonger. I can live with that. I think in twenty years we will look back with horror at some German politicians and the Schröder and Merkel governments. We will shudder with pleasure and say, "Thank God that turned out well.

What do you mean exactly?

Just think what would have happened if the war hadn't come for another ten years: even more Russian money in Europe, Nord Stream 2 completed, Germany getting 70 percent of its energy from Russia. Would the Germans still have supported Ukraine then? It sounds cynical, but fortunately this war is taking place now.
(...)