View Single Post
Old 01-07-08, 11:25 AM   #4
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32
Uploads: 0

I woke up to a chaos. I could hear people yell and run around in the room. From outside I heard low rumble, getting closer
and closer. Then the air raid siren went on. I barely got up, when someone grabbed me by hand and told we need to get away
from the room, away from the windows. What good is that for, if bomb hits the hospital?

We headed downstairs, I was struggling to keep on my feet, I was still blind. By the time we got to the, what I believe was a
cellar, the battle was already going on at full strenght. Bombs fell all around us and from time to time we could hear the
unique sound of the Bristol Mercury engine of our Gladiators pass by at low altitude. Flak, exploding bombs, the low rumble of
the bombers, collapsing buildings, the screams of the badly wounded still stranded upstairs, the noise was hellish.

20 minutes later it was all quiet again. The Gladiators had chased them back out to the sea and were now returning from their
hunt. I counted 4 planes in my mind, must have been a small raid.

A young sounding soldier came to the cellar, looking for anyone wounded. I couldnt help but laugh out loud. He soon realised
the stupidity of his question and left, would've wanted to see his face. We started to climb up, back to our rooms. From time
to time there still was explosions heard from the harbor area, time fused bombs I'd guess.

Later that day I heard that our Gladiators had shot down 6 Stukas during the raid, no own losses. Everyone in the room cheered.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote