View Single Post
Old 05-26-11, 09:35 AM   #18
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189
Uploads: 0

Off the top of my head:

It has a really nice integrated design that lets you effortlessly jump between stations yet maintain perfect situational awareness all the time. For instance you always have access to weapon/contact/damage info regardless of if you're at the tactical display or at the sonar station identifying a contact.

Also RSR has a well thought out TMA system where your simulated firecontrol crew constantly update the solution for you but what you do directly affects it. Unlike other (training) sims it doesn't require you to manually stack the dots or lay out plotting rulers. Your crew does that and your sonar team will also plot enemy torpedoes for you so you have a much better idea what an enemy weapon is doing than in certain other sims that pretty much require you to man every single station. In RSR you are the skipper and is tasked with command decisions only.

Also it doesn't feature any dedicated sonar screen at all. Basically your crew listens for contacts for you and do a good job of it. I personally prefer that to other games that pretty much require you to sit glued to a waterfall display for no good reason. RSR gameplay is built around commanding a submarine, not monitoring a sonar display.

Also the campaign is simple and dynamic. Depending on which side has the advantage, certain types of missions are generated and transit takes place on a strategic map that of course features sonar detection so it is possible to do sprint/drift etc to get into a favourable firing position. A typical engagement can last anywhere from 15 minutes to hours depending on the enemy and your skill.

Oh, and it simulates blue/brown water ops as well as arctic conditions with floe and pack ice. Different areas of ocean have different sound propagation properties and map overlays are available that allow you to use this to your advantage. Also when you fire a weapon, you set a waypoint and click to fire. Mk48's can be programmed with different search patterns, given multiple waypoints and controlled directly.

I'm sure Daemon can fill you in on whatever I forgot.
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote