View Single Post
Old 05-15-09, 12:23 PM   #31
PortsmouthProwler
Bosun

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0

I can understand the naming issues and respect the concerns of senior people here, but I, for one, will proudly play 1.6.

Webster, thanks for your extremely prompt attention to the 2/3 glitch. Let it be known that you got back to me tout suite and I was up 'n runnin' by early evening.

I originally logged on to post this, a mini-AAR/eval report:

Dec41 Asiatic - Sargo (USS Searaven) 93% Real - just the Event Camera ON.

Assigned to Luzon Strait (off Taiwan, really). Headed north. No SJ, just eyeballs and SD. Checked out some visual contacts that were friendlies. Finally, near Lingayen Gulf, at about 1830, a large TF with some merchants comes steaming right at me. Right in the middle, a huge capital ship is at 359. Had trouble with the ID, finally settled on it being a Mogami cruiser, doing approx 10 knots (see my previous posts about "Manual Eyeballs" - I don't do any geometry on the charts, I just try to get range, AOB, and estimate speed. I'll use the stadimeter, time for speed, anything that'll help with quick and dirty, with the emphasis on quick - No Pausing!).

I set a spread of four fish forward staggered at about 1.5 degrees Left (AOB is about 20 degrees Port). Depth is at what would be by the book (it's only Dec41, I don't know about Mk14 problems, right?), about 30 sumptin' feet. I've only got four for this baby and I want to break her back if I can, she's well armored on the hull.

At about 1800 yards, Uncle DD lets me know that uninvited guests are not welcome and starts pinging. The CA is at about 350 degrees relative now, so it's "Q and screw" time. I let four fly, drop the scope and start for 175 feet with my patented reload two only procedure (I approached on Silent, so must always remember to take it off for the reload).

Miss times four, no Event showing, can only guess that they ran deep, I shoulda had the spread on Right, or I just futzed my TDC numbers.

Evaded, reloaded, came up to PD, tried to get a coupla merchies, missed, went back down, got bounced around by the DDs, repaired some damage, came back up, damaged a DD, tried a couple of pot shots, missed, went back down, reloaded, repaired...ah, the hell with it, nuttin' left 'cept the destroyers, anyway, everyone else has skedaddled.

Crept away, fixed stuff and surfaced. Fixed more stuff. Hull is at 000. Am still in fighting trim. Saved game.

Great stuff, Webster! Thank you for your dedication, knowledge, and courtesy!

Respectfully,
PP

Last edited by PortsmouthProwler; 05-15-09 at 03:59 PM.
PortsmouthProwler is offline   Reply With Quote