View Single Post
Old 08-20-17, 04:53 PM   #39
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I can't find the article I found the other day (on the web), but they completely removed the torpedoes from a lot of the boats that were just used to patrol the shore line of some of the Japanese occupied islands, and their whole purpose was to interfere with supply drops, and shoot-up anything that moved on-shore... A torpedo boat without torpedoes though... does it lose the name then?.... - I think I would have tried to get me some armoring for that plywood though, with some of the weight-savings of getting rid of the torps...

Yep, typically they removed the two aft torpedo roll off racks(stopped using the tubes to save weight and to eliminate the flash caused by poweder charges when fired, giving away their position at night) to save weight, some would carry depth charges or just use the extra room for more weapony. Kept two torpedoes in case ran into anything worthy of a torpedo.

Find it interesting after stopped using old Mark 8 torpedoes, they were using Mark 13, aerial torpedoes . Assume becase they were lighter/shorter than Mark 15 etc but had a nice punch still.

Look up PT-658 on youtube, its a tour of the vessel. While it's a higgins PT but seen videos of elcos with similar gun/rocket/torpedo layout.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote