View Single Post
Old 03-20-19, 10:59 PM   #23
Herman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 269
Uploads: 1046

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureSkies View Post
Too much automation can cause problems. I definitely lean towards power to the player, but ultimately the implementation of this is still a ways out.
I agree that this is the prudent path. When in doubt, leave it up to the players. Even though ANW had problems with the time compression during MP sessions, players were able to work around them with relatively minor ad hoc solutions.

Making more processes mandatory or automatic generates more programming error possibilities. For example, with the time issue, does the time drop to 1:1 upon detection, when a unit fires, when a unit enters theoretical firing range, etc. These are all likely considerations the game engine must calculate to know when it changes time compression. And what happens when something goes wrongly? They are all just additional areas errors can arise. Looking for new ways to add unnecessary complications is just looking for trouble.

Learn from the mistakes of others. Steam and Iron is a solitaire game and has a mandatory change in time compression when enemy units are in visual contact with one another; the game will not move faster than 1:5 time compression. Unfortunately, I often found my finger mashed down on the Increase Time hotkey because I wanted the game to just run through the battle. I wasn't issuing any orders and was usually trying to disengage.

Learn from their mistakes. You will find plenty enough opportunity to create new ones.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions
Herman is offline   Reply With Quote