View Single Post
Old 03-05-06, 02:22 PM   #2
SeaQueen
Naval Royalty

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Re: Mission: Kara sea search Feed back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitain
The SSBN op area could be extended.
I'm not sure that's a good idea. If you make the SSBN op area larger, then the scenario will take more and more time, statistically. Do you really want to play a scenario where you sit there a month and find nothing? That gets lame quickly. It's realistic, but it's lame.

I figured 50x50 NM was more than sufficiently challenging for most people. I think in my original statement about the scenario taking a week to play, I underestimated the detection range by a great deal. It seems like so far 8-12 hours is about what it takes.

Quote:
More biologicals.
The biologicals are random. Sometimes you see more, sometimes you see less. I thought about putting more shrimp in. Do you know of anyplace that specifically details the marine life up there? Actual numbers are hard to come by.

Quote:
Shallower waters.
I'm sort of limited by what's on the bathymetric chart there. Is there a better location with the Kara Sea that you would pick? Why?

Quote:
More of a mission objective ie make sure the entire op area is clear of all threats.
I thought about that, but I wasn't sure how to do it in a way that felt good to me. In real life, you can never say that an area is clear of all threat submarines, you can only make probabilistic statements but the way DW is set up now, you can't really do something like, "clear the area to 90% confidence that there are no threats in it," because you can't do math in the doctrine language.

I think it'd be neat if you could do some kind of "probability of clearence threshold" trigger. I think if I could do that, though, I think it'd be much more challenging (and realistic) for the Soviet side. In that case, what I'd do is make the inclusion of the threat submarine random, so you don't know if there's actually a threat there or not. :-) You just have to get to 90% confidence the area is clear as fast you can. I'd have to make a pair of scenarios, actually. The same situation played from opposite sides. Huuuuum... this has me thinking.

Quote:
More submarines both friendly and un friendly.
I was cautious about this, because I explicitly DIDN'T want to have to deal with issues like coordination of ASW assets. Every time I try to design a complicated scenario in DW with lots of things going on at once, I end up in over my head and never finish it.

Besides, I think DW is at it's best when it's a very small number of assets. Larger scale stuff is best played in Harpoon. This boils things down to the essentials, I think. It gives one a good feel for what an ASW scenario is all about.

Quote:
Random failures of eqipment could be good as well .
I'll keep that in mind. In general, I like to assume that things are sufficiently well maintained that this isn't too much of a problem, but I don't know what you people do with your ships over there.

Quote:
To play this mission you need a lot of patience as it takes hours, it took me almost 8 hours on this mission alone and that was in real time!
Yeah... I'm scared a lot of people won't like it for that reason.

Quote:
I have to give this mission 88 out of 100 Certain factors come in that make the mission not that good but it is still an excellent mission i do look forward to playing it again, and maybe even multiplayer!
I actually originally intended it to be multiplayer, but realistically most kids aren't going to sit there for hours at a time twiddling with the narrow band sonar, trying to find a 50Hz tonal. It takes a special kind of wacko to get into that.
SeaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote