Old 10-12-19, 11:27 AM   #4
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adock View Post
Hi,

What's the best uboot simulator between sh3 gwx3,uboat and wolfpack (solo mode)
I use to play gwx3 and should like to play a "2019 sh3"

I thank you
Hard to say without knowing what you liked about playing SH3 GWX3. And what of that you consider best or good required to be in the other games. There is no best or good-for-all subsim. There are too many different elements to the gameplay of the games mentioned.

It's quite unfair to compare Wolfpack at this stage. It is far from fully developed, it is early access by a 2 man development team. It's focused on MP, so has a limited operational/spawn region and no time compression. The kind of missions you can play now is still quite limited.

WP has no crew-management (the bots don't have a life). That is, the intended crew-management is with human people. So, again an unfair comparision against the other games. But for the sake of discussion, Uboat and SH3 have crew management in common. I have not played Uboat recently so I cannot comment on it developments since first publication. Although drawn to it before it was released, I now do not like the sims-meet-silenthunter setting. Many players disabled SH3 crew fatigue. I personally didn't mind the micromanagement of fatigued crew.

Imho the uboat interior and operational controls of WP are 10 times better than the other games. Although it is not fully modeled with all compartments, it contains all the necessary spaces to operate with 5 man. (SH3 has had more time to gain mod development with RAOBF and other user interface enhancements) I find those in WP more usefull than the simplified 2D interface and mediocre 3d controls in SH3 and Uboat. Map-tools in Wolfpack are another level above SH3. Uboat isn't even worth to go into in this respect.

What SH3 and Uboat have in common is that you have a strategic element to gameplay by your choice of positioning on the map. You have freedom to stroll around to hopefully find something soon. Maybe guided on hints provided on the map. In Wolfpack (at this stage of development) you spawn and you know something is around you. You just don't know where or how far. All it takes is looking on the surface around you, or dive and get a direction on the hydrophone. Then move to it and wait for something to appear. The search phase is severly shortend and you can hardly miss once audible contact is made. After that phase SH3 and Wolfpack and Uboat provide similar gameplay in attacking the convoy. TDC operation in Wolfpack is fully manual though. You will need to learn this. There is no assistance other than the training scenario.

There is another thread in this subsim forum about the Scapa Flow mission (to be developed next) where you can read what they have in mind for that.

I'm out of ideas on what details to compare. Please elaborate your own wishes.