View Single Post
Old 06-05-09, 12:01 AM   #104
goldorak
Admiral

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
If you don't feel like going I7, go for Phenom II. If you don't want AMD, go for I7 anyway so you can upgrade in the future. Better than buying an entirely new system... again. (something you'll be doing anyway if you go with Intel, but that's a different story)
This is a bad advice. Intel is going to ditch the low cost i7 920 when the lynnfields come out in september.
Those that will want to upgrade their i7 920 will be looking at 500$ cpu's. Thats no upgrade path at least looking at it from a "consumer" perspective.

The only real option if you want future upgradability is to go with the phenom 2 platform. On the Intel side you still have socket 775 which is pretty good (not top of the line), but still you can make yourself a pretty good pc. Buying into i7 is going to bring you to a brick wall with no upgrade possibile (unless you consider spending 500-1000 $ for a cpu a normal thing).
Socket 1136 (for lynnfields) is a better option but it isn't clear what upgrades you will be able to get in the future.
goldorak is offline   Reply With Quote