View Single Post
Old 03-12-14, 08:22 PM   #3
Bubble Head
Seaman

Downloads: 128
Uploads: 0

Thanks for that Herman,

Just a couple quick questions from a noob - I had a go at one of the training exercises in the west pacific - off the coast of eastern Australia and in central west Australia. Some things went to plan some things did not -

My naval shipping group did fairly well - picked up a few oilers at close range and finished them off with a plethora of ship to ship missiles - easy.

The colins class sub I had out there did not go so well. Had her under, with sonar going - moving slowly to the east and tracing a recon circle for another sub. Initially was alerted to her presence when she fired a torpedo at me and missed. Went deeper and kept trying to get a lock on her, no dice and within short shrift she had me torpe'd and on the ocean floor - just couldn't get a fix even though I went silent, stationary and had sonar only pinging and she was obviously in close quarters? Did I miss something?

Also - I attempted a 17 bird bombing run on the norther Queensland airbase - everytime I attempted to get birds out there (F111 Ardvarks) it kept telling me they only had a 50nm range - which seemed a bit low to me - 50nm? These are long range strike craft and should have been able to make the hop to qld from vic easily - beat the **** out of the field and get back to base with fuel to spare - I sent them anyway in the interest of science, and they managed to pound the air base but bingo'd on the return trip... again - did I miss something here?

Sorry for the major noob fest out here but those things threw me somewhat - any help would be greatly appreciated.