Thread: [TEC] Dud torpedo chance mod?
View Single Post
Old 04-25-15, 12:11 AM   #6
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

Alrighty then, reset for dud chance 15 (3.3 out of 22 fish) and premature 10 (2.2 out of 22). 14 shots, 13 hits, 1 miss (snap shot at a turning destroyer, what did you expect?). Then one dud followed by two prematures, 5 for 5 hits after that. So the prematures were just about right although the random chance factor makes the 2 in a row rather unlikely, two in a row following the single dud is even more unlikely. The miss could have been a dud, impossible to tell if it doesn't hit something. One dud out of 22 fish on one patrol followed by 5 duds out of 22 on the next patrol is withing the realm of possibility and would average out the odds while making the skipper tear his hair out. Not sure that's the effect I'm looking for, possibly I should tone it down a bit and keep track over several patrols in a career.

One problem with testing this, a dud hits and bounces off and you get the announcement "it's a dud", but unless you're in external free camera view tracking the torpedo and see the splash there's no other indication of a premature - "Firing tube 1!" followed by nothing at all, check the attack map and the fish is gone. Other problem of course is misses, if I fire and miss there's no way to tell if the miss would have been a dud or a boom, so no way to keep track of the actual average unless I never miss. Possible but tedious since I'll have to avoid any kind of chancy shot during the entire test, that one miss out of 22 shots in the first patrol made the dud percentage test meaningless.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote