View Single Post
Old 12-07-13, 07:03 AM   #5
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
As for the British report, it doesn't give any special detail about diesel speed names, and for electric propulsion speeds, only English telegraph orders are listed. Yet, only a rough correspondence can be found between the German and the English terminology as far as telegraph order and ratios are involved. As a consequence, I would suggest to adopt engine ratios derived from the German manual, using data from the Admiralty report only as a cross-reference, and for calculation of speed/rpm gradients of "average" u-boats. Boat's cfg files would therefore change as follows:
Yes, that's exactly what I have done...Our cfg entries are very similar and it's clearly visible that we used the same method.
But, that's "only" cfg file and it doesn't have any impact on sub performance. It only defines values for UI buttons and commands, if we use ingame speed scale in knots or depth scale in meters instead of buttons with preset values , cfg file is completely irrelevant.

I have impression that you were struggling to decide which sources are "more correct" and relevant? I had the same problem but maybe they are all correct in some way? Maybe British didn't have enough knowledge to "take maximum" from the U-boat or maybe sea conditions were different that day..Maybe British sub was heavier/lighter than the sub used in German manual... Who knows...What we know for sure is that top speed of type VIIC was somewhere between 16.7 and 18.1 knots with RPM of 470-490 and that is enough for us.

I must say that I'm pretty much surprised to realize that there were so much work with sub sim and cfg files but no one ever tried to actually prevent ridiculous underwater and surface acceleration and to match turning times and radius ?!
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote