View Single Post
Old 08-02-20, 03:45 PM   #13
KungPao
Seaman

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSchazly View Post

The ruler is sized to a certain speed. When the dots line up in the ruler, that means the solution works at the speed given. Does that help at all?
Yes, that makes sense. Now I realized it is a simple tools based on vertical angle pairs.

I spent some time study the TMA, Ekelund ranging , I watched your very helpful tutorial again, and a video called “TMA An Accurate Solution”, read “target motion analysis” from SubGuru, “Submarine approach and attack tactics” that is in RA manual folder, and a paper called “Passive ranging and TMA” found online. Now I see the light. I know where my frustration came from:

1, In most of the case a solution will need 3 legs zig-zag. I failed to follow this requirement before. I usually track the target without any turns or just execute a 2 legs turns. You probably won’t need a 3 legs zig-zag if the target’s speed is known and there is a large bearing rate changes. But if the bearing rate change is low, you will need a 3 legs zig-zag.

2, I didn’t know the tricks to straight the dots until recently. For example, I don’t know where I should move the ruler if the dots line are curve to the right, or in case the first three dots looks like in a straight line, but the others are not. A lot of my frustration came from this. Now I know how to deal with it. First makes all dots form a line (in any direction), after that position the ruler to make the first dot fall into the middle line, then turn the ruler until all the dots line up on the middle line. It’s just that simple.
KungPao is offline   Reply With Quote