View Single Post
Old 04-07-10, 02:12 AM   #13
frinik
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Late War/Early War

All points of view are valid( I am such a glib fence-sitter I ought to be an politician...)

I think the over emphasis of late Western European battle theatres in tanksims or games is simply a matter of marketing logic. Most US/UK and a majority of Western European clients/players are more interested in these 1944-1945 events than more obscure ones in Poland 1939, France 1940 or those on the East Front.one big reason is Hollywood which has glorified American and to a lesser extent British war exploits ( either real , imaginary(U571) or exaggerated) from 1943 onward. How many American and British war films made since 1945 take place before 1943?20% at the most.Most or 80% take place either on D Day/Normandy, during the Battle of the Bulge, Germany 1945(Remagen or the air bombings over Germany), in Italy 1944( Anzio), or in the case of British films in North Africa from 1941-1943, air raids or about British SAS or spies in occupied Europe in 1944).The same with documentaries on TV or best selling books. How many war films have you seen with an Eastern European or pre 1943 Western European slant?I am not talking about films dealing with the Holocaust or special themes like that. Just plain war movies. The truth is a handful... As a result if it were not for Russian or Ukrainian game developpers nobody would make games like Steel Fury or TvsT because major distributors who often happen to be AngloSaxon simply don't go for that.The one that took on these 2 tanksims; Dutch-based Lighthouse went belly up last year.

You can divide the titles by nationalities. Those dealing with the East Front are either from the former Soviet Union, Germany/Austria or Central Europe. Those dealing with the 1944/45 Western European campaign are mostly US or UK or West European based.

It's a matter of what wants in game. Sheer action, battles,firefights with raw firepower and optimum armour or more tactical, experimental approach focussing on variety and experiencing various phases and types of armour. I personally and unabashedly much prefer the first one without looking down on the second approach.

The Tiger is truly a remarkable example of how good propaganda( by the Germans) was turned into good marketing( by American game makers and marketers) to sell games/books, films.

But again it all comes down to raw power; would you rather drive a Ferrari or a Corolla( with brake and gas pedals working of course)?

Cheerio

frinik is offline   Reply With Quote