View Single Post
Old 08-11-07, 06:30 PM   #62
minsc_tdp
XO

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

I got it working in Vista!

Fraggulus PM'd me and I switched to Vista and tried a few more things, and suddenly it worked! No code changes were needed. So here's a few things I think I did since the last time I tried that fixed it:

1. Before trying to run hear.py, make sure Vista Speech Recognition is configured and running. Open the Control Panel, search for Speech and go there. Go through all the setup and training. When you're done you should see the vista speech recognition widget at the top of the screen. If you say something, it will recommend you say "start listening" which you must do before it will hear anything. Try "start wordpad" to see if it's working correctly.

2. This part is in the readme: After #1, make sure you run PythonWin Editor, click Tools > Com MakePy Utility. Find the "Microsoft Speech Object Library (5.3)" select it and hit OK.

3. Run hear.py to test things (don't run the regular launch BATs just yet since it will hide any failure in the hear.py output.) Say "test" or "crash dive" and it should recognize it and print it out, and simultaneously you'll see the vista speech widget show your command.

I didn't test it too much: If you can run hear.py and it's recognizing you without having to say "start listening" that's probably better, since it will then focus on recognizing commands from the sh4speech word list rather than both that and the vista command set (such as things like "start wordpad"). But I'm pretty sure you need to say "start listening" or it will ignore everything.

I think the reason it was failing was primarily that A.) I didn't configure everything and make sure the widget was working first, and maybe B.) I ran the Python MakePy thing prior to doing that.

Last edited by minsc_tdp; 08-11-07 at 06:49 PM.
minsc_tdp is offline   Reply With Quote