View Single Post
Old 11-12-19, 06:36 AM   #44
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Not truely VR-related, but since I got VR mainly for sim-racing two years ago, this news: I am finally complete with my hardware migration. Yesterday, after the other Fanatec stuff that I already have since two years, I finally got the manual shifter as well. Last shifter I had was the G27, as I said: two years ago. In these years: paddle-shifting even in cars with manual gear boxes - Bäääh!

That now delivers the full sim racing hardcore experience. And no, I will not get a motion rig. No space. No cockpit frame or cabin construction - beside the space problem again, why would I? I am racing with a VR mask on my face. Fancy wheel rims or cabin constructions are of no visual use to me.

https://i.postimg.cc/T10YMbL1/IMG-20191111-141027.jpg

Good stuff, this Fanatec gear, btw. Can only recommend it. The shifter is full metal construction inside and outside, easy to switch between sequential and H-pattern (an issue of seconds), and the mechanism can be set from super-light to very hard. It also has serious weight. And a clever mounting that does not need as many screw holes in the outer casing as one would expect, still sits rocksolid.

I used to think in past years that the asking prices for this kind of gadgets is not worth it, is exotic, and too ga-ga. Lets face it, for the costs of these input devices alone other people will buy two ordinary household laptops or one to three ordinary household tower PC. But it makes a difference, really. I allowed myself to change my mind and get convinced. And the wheelbase is not even at the high end of the price index. Their new direct drive bases cost 3-4 times as much as this one.

Last edited by Skybird; 11-12-19 at 06:45 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote