View Single Post
Old 05-18-20, 08:07 PM   #12
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col7777 View Post
I was in a port a while ago going out to sea and was attacked by aircraft, the other ships in the port were firing at them as well and they were all shot down.
One crashed very near to where I was sailing and instead of bursting in to flames it rolled about making a terrible noise, now that would have been good if the building it crashed in to also burst in the flames.

As for going in to ports to sink ships, I just spent a good few hours doing that playing as a ship instead of a sub, the ship auto fired its guns and didn't need to come in to the port, it was firing from a distance.
I agree the ships didn't budge but if after the first ship was being attacked it would have been better if they sprang in to life and scattered or tried to attack me then it would have been more interesting.

I was in a mission not long ago, 'Harbour Recon' I think it was and a few ships were moving and came to attack, so isn't in the mission file when placing ships to have them static or not what if they are not static, can they sit still till attacked, I don't know?

Col.

You are right, I don't know if it's the mod TMO or FOTRSU or other mods, but in SH4 there is more patrolling action around the port and ships will not hesitate to follow you into the port if they detect you, this is much more pronounced than in SH5. In SH5 I have observed that ships are first stationary and will attack you after your first offensive action (when they are hit or see that other ships are hit). In SH4 I guess it's the same but I don't know yet. FOTRSU seems to add more ships to defend ports, that's very good, I like it and it means that the campaign node system is different from SH5 allowing more freedom when defining traffic. That's not the case in SH5 which doesn't allow this without damaging traffic outside of port (when adding task force spawns too close to port you risk not seeing any traffic outside any longer, meaning the campaign you edit or create is useless until you remove these units near the port.)

This may not be 100% exact, it's only what I learned so far in SH5. I'm very pleased that SH4 is somewhat different, maybe some day we shall see a true replica of the Battle Of Midway, with all the fireworks in the port that gets bombed, and building blowing up and pieces flying in all directions...
it sure would be cool then to take the role of a destroyer to make AA operations.

XS
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote