View Single Post
Old 04-23-20, 04:59 PM   #7
DeimosFormido
Swabbie

Downloads: 24
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSchazly View Post
You're assuming that the torpedo turns on its seeker head literally on top of the enemy target. Angles are what matter here, not really the depth difference. The seeker head usually turns on further away such that the depth of the target doesn't really matter, it's always in the cone (500 ft depth difference vs. activating the seeker from 6000 ft away). And the seeker cone is more of an actual cone, not a fan.

I confess I never actually did the math.
Vertical angle on torpedo sensor is 15°. Range of sensor is 3000 yd. Therefore with a bit of trigonometry, maximum depth the cone reaches below torpedo running depth is: 2400 ft

I honestly never thought this would be the case due to my ability to evade Russian torps by vertical evasion

In the "in-game manual" the tactics section on torpedo evasion mentions vertical evasion as being a viable approach. And it mentions the vertical detection range... for the Mk37. That's where I got the "400 ft vertical" notion. I guess I memorized that number but never where I got it from exactly.
So I guess a Mk48 can literally scan the whole range of depth where submarines can go, even Alfas, and it does indeed just come down to "over the layer vs. under it"...

Jesus, Mk48s really do make enemy torpedoes look like trash in '84, huh?
DeimosFormido is offline   Reply With Quote