bobchase
Torpedoman

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp_Thomsen
In real life its very very easy to know at what bearing you are looking at with the binoculars, while in the game you are turning the mouse left or right and have no idea how much your head is turning, thats why i think that the bearing indicator is useful... sometimes you turned to 270 looking for something and nothing shows up, you get out of the binoculars and see you already turned too much past 180... too hard to control that turning speed sometimes without the bearing indicator. Maybe if were only a north/south/east/west indicator, would be perfect...
I'm not sure that's true. In real life you would have an idea how much your head is turning, but that only helps if you're scanning in one general direction. Any more than a few degrees and you're turning your whole body, at which time you lose that sense of absolute direction. When using plain old binoculars in real life, I think we automatically drop them and use the naked eye, and then replace them without thinking about it.
Steve,
You are absolutely right. When I was at sea, any good lookout could give you a relative bearing of a visual contact within ten degrees of actual. Any good OOD would then pick up his binoculars and immediately confirm the sighting & the bearing. You are also right about the binoculars and the eyeball being used together. You scan from the ship to the horizon with the old Eyeball MK-1, Mod-1 and then you rescan with the binoc's. Next you turn slightly and do both scans again with an intentional overlap of the first scan. You do this over & over until you complete your sector of the sea, then you start all over again, and again, and again... It's a very long 4 hour watch in the winter.
When you find a contract, you confirm the contact with the binoculars and then drop your eyes to the hull to find your bearing. Then the officers do the just the reverse of that to find the contact from the approximate bearing derived from the hull.
Bob
bobchase is offline   Reply With Quote