View Single Post
Old 01-20-21, 11:27 AM   #20
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Due View Post
I've gathered that "range" is essentially 2-fold: One is the jump range but equally important is endurance, in lack of a better word: The range via multiple jumps before refuelling is necessary. That, I believe, is a function of fuel tank size, fuel consumption in normal flight/supercruise as well as single jump range. I haven't looked at distances near the edge of the galaxy, or what kind of stars I will find there but I think, I believe, that if I trade off some single jump distance for increased endurance, I will get further out to find scoopable stars far out there. The big question is then how should I split capabilities between these 2 different measures of range.

One of my proudest accomplishments in Elite is having never run out of gas! Haha, but plenty do. If you ever find yourself stranded call the Fuel Rats ! It's a group of players dedicated to saving commanders stranded anywhere in the galaxy. Saints among men.

As to the range/endurance issue, it is certainly something to be aware of, and improve if possible. For me though, jump range is the thing. Endurance is also important, but with a fuel scoop and scoopable stars, it really is a minor one for me. There are places you can go where KGBFOAM stars are few and far between, and then it become vitally important! But in general terms endurance is not a big deal, as long as you have a scoop.

If you look at those builds I linked to, you see a few modifications to increase range. Aside from any weight saving modifications, the important ones are FSD engineering and the Guardian FSD Booster.

The FSD has the long range modification with the mass manager experimental. Mass manager reduces the amount of fuel gulped during each jump, which in turn boosts the endurance (or total range on a single tank. Jump range and total jump range are displayed at the top left in Coriolis). The GFSDB is a special module that requires jumping through some hoops to acquire, and adds a flat boost to jump range with the amount depending on module class. Check youtube.

You can mess around in Coriolis and try various modules and engineering to see what effect it has.

AspX is a great ship, it was my third ship, but I've since sold it. But I do have a lot of experience building and using one. I took my first real exploration trip in an AspX, 5000 light years out to unlock one of the engineers.

Last edited by Threadfin; 01-20-21 at 11:38 AM.
Threadfin is online   Reply With Quote