SHO Re: Good advice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Prise View Post
Thanks this would help me big time. I'm going to have to adjust my play style
That, would be advisable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
I'll add a little more here...

When I find one of these "far away" contacts, I'll note the bearing of the "center" of the signal, go to the nav screen, zoom in until you see the bearing ring around the sub. Grab the ruler and draw a quick line from the center of the sub position outwards to the bearing of the "far away" contact. Now you have a "visual" cue on the Nav screen when you zoom out for a larger mileage area view. Come to the heading of the "ruled" line you just made and you're on your way.

I usually close at "Full" speed, especially if I don't have a sonar track showing on the Nav map and I'll close at that speed for 15 to 20 minutes. At that point, if I don't have a sonar track yet, I'll drop back down to periscope depth if necessary to reaquire his more than likely changed bearing. This also gives you a clue which way he may be heading and you might lead him somewhat using your intuition on your next closing leg. At some point, you should acquire a sonar track and you can then close continuously (or lead) on the track itself as you normally would.

I acquire 90% or more of my targets in this manner. Watch your time compression though (keep it low) ... You could be closing on an unidentified warship before you acquire an actual track and/or hear the fast screw noises in the sonar room and your sonar man may not tell you soon enough.
I too, follow that same strategy...

+ 1

M. M.