View Single Post
Old 12-26-21, 11:43 AM   #385
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

13 September 1942

--He bombed Palembang at 5000 feet today, resulting in at least 5 Sallies shot down by flak.
--Palembang's Beaufighters made another low level attack on a cargo ship near Oosthaven; this time they connected with bombs instead of cannon and caused severe damage--we believe the ship sank a few hours later. No troop casualties reported.
--I was wrong to think that tanker was gone from Boela already. It's a very large tanker that that's a pretty small port, it's not going to load quickly. I'm sending more subs. B-17s took another shot today again and missed.

Reinforcements
AM Bundaberg arrives at Darwin
3rd FG/8th FS CAF arrives at Chungking (Vanguard fighters, training unit)
55th FG/338th FS arrives at Portland (10/25 P-38)
3rd Marine Regiment arrives at San Diego (full strength, unrestricted)

------
14 September 1942

-A heavy cruiser and 3 destroyers shelled Palembang, causing heavy casualties to our defending forces.
-Our fighters performed well over Palembang, shooting down 3 Zeroes and 5 Sallies with no losses.
-Beaufighters attempted another strike but were turned away by Zeroes with 1 loss.
-Foochow, China has been liberated. That's the last base in this little coastal chain, I'm going to pause here to deal with the armies that are advancing here and assess whether I can or should try to take back any more territory. Taking bases is nice, but my main goal in China is to get him to burn supply, so him moving armies over here is more important than taking the bases.

Refits, and withdrawals
CL Leander has completed a substantial AA upgrade
VMF-222, embarked on the USS Long Island, had to be withdrawn. Long Island is part of an amphibious task force that had dropped troops off on Canton Island and was making a 2nd run when the KB showed up, it's been hanging out well south ever since. Now clear to return to Pago, the CVE will go to Peal next to pick up a new squadron.