View Single Post
Old 10-21-21, 01:34 PM   #39
RetroGamer
Mate

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polak2 View Post
One thing which is for sure superior in 3Dfx is smoke or to be more general - transparency and semitransparency rendering.

About being more proficient in M1TP2 it is my opinion that the maps are too small and they do not allow for more efficient maneuvering of the friendly units around OPFOR. A 2x size map would be IMHO better and I was hoping to try to mod that.
If you can mod the map, that’s impressive!

A few other observations about realism - which is kind of a ridiculous subject…

There should be a way to designate sectors of fire. I recall at the Infantry Officer Basic Course (IOBC) back in the ‘80s, there was in-depth discussion about everyone engaging the same target, blowing it to hell, only to have an unobserved enemy element fire upon your unit, while you’re distracted over killing the 1st target.

On Bradley Table XII, which is the platoon level qualification at Fort Hood, we would be “gigged” or docked points if somebody fired on a target outside of his sector of fire. That was a major part of our eval, come to think of it.

I noticed in M1TP2, sometimes somebody would fire upon my target right as I’m about to engage. True, I was Bradley Mech, not Armor, but the principle is the same.

Also, something that I find humorous- tanks running into each other! Lol!!! Maybe that happens in war (I never saw any action in theatre so I do not know), but in training, that’s also MAJOR and requires an investigation if it happens. I think everyone involved in the collision is mandated to report to the medics and I’d have to do an accident report. Anyway, that’s going on all the time in M1TP2 as you all know.

One final laugh - Bradley IFVs traveling cross country with the TOW launchers up. That’s another big no-no…my gunner relayed to me that can seriously damage the launcher or at least it’s calibration.

I admit it’s kind of fun knowing a little bit about this subject and observing the game companies’ sometimes inaccurate take on things.

Here’s another one that keeps popping in my head - “Always scan in low mag, sir!” I was kind of admonished by my gunner in the COFT simulator for scanning for targets in High-mag. In M1TP2, I’m always scanning in low mag as a result….I can still hear the disgust in SSG Guzman’s voice, lol!

I guess I’m on a roll - the OP Order…wow, what they’re depicting in the game is far from what we were taught. It should be one sentence that relays, “we are successful when ___ happens”. It’s ok. I don’t really like 100% realism.

Last edited by RetroGamer; 10-21-21 at 01:49 PM.
RetroGamer is offline   Reply With Quote