Old 10-11-21, 01:05 PM   #14
RetroGamer
Mate

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polak2 View Post

I also submit to you all that SB1 is still as playable and it was and it is the most perfect tool to acquire some basic modern tank experience with the bonus of being able to be as realistic as any without military background may wish to have.

You @RetroGamer are in a very interesting situation as you are a professional able to distinguish the true value of learning about tanks from fiction. I suggest that we continue this conversation and maintain contact over here.
Hey, Thanks! I don't want anybody to think I am more than I am. I was in the National Guard and was activated for Desert Shield/Storm but I didn't retire from the guard. I did, however, recently retire from my job, which involved computer forensics.

My unit went through an NTC rotation in 1991 and it was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. There was not a thing fun about it. I was worried sick that one of my guys was going to flip a track (we were M3 Scouts and moved at night), fall off a cliff, have an accident, etc. etc. We were sleep deprived which, frankly, is very dangerous when operating heavy machinery like M3 Bradleys. I was also worried that any laziness on my part would get men killed. If I didn't pay attention to every word, it could cost lives. No fun there, LOL!!

We trained in real simulators called the M-COFT and U-COFT. (Conduct Of Fire Trainer) It was a mockup of a Bradley gunner and commander station and was taken very seriously. The graphics looked just like M1 Tank Platoon but the operation was just like Steel Beasts.

Anyway, I think that's why I like Armored Fist 1994 so much. It's not super realistic, but not a total kids arcade game either. You are correct, Steel Beasts is the gold standard for tank and mech gunnery. It is very realistic. M1 Tank Platoon 2 is realistic in that you have to constantly stay aware of where you and your other vehicles are. Almost too realistic...kinda stresses me out again, LOL!

Computers are great devices for keeping the mind active. Part of the fun for me is getting them ready, running diagnostics like memtest, Prime95, 3DMark, scandisk, etc to thoroughly stress each component.

I'm still working on completing M1TP2. Thanks for the feedback! I'll keep you guys posted!!!!
RetroGamer is offline   Reply With Quote