View Single Post
Old 09-28-13, 10:42 AM   #110
Ardaeshir
Watch

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0

Well it was pretty one-sided to the point of me thinking she may be a "revier-for-hire" person given that it seems she only reviews movies and a few specific unrelated products and always seems to give them 1 or 5 stars, basiclaly nothing in between.

However I seen her respond to one of the comments in a pretty long and detailed way that no pay-per-review person would ever bother with. Let me quote a part of that:

Quote:
I was raised on military bases in a military family so I know something of their behavior up through the 70's & have managed a veterans group for 15 years. This may be acceptable behavior from the 80's thru current day service personnel but prior to the 60's, such total debauchery would only have been tolerated for Neptunous Rex or shore leave. Certainly not on board & even questionable that the shore patrol would even tolerate it off base. So the implication that 2 hours of disgusting primal behavior was an accurate depiction of their normal discipline just doesn't pass muster as valid. Any reviewer under 50 would not have any idea how these crews conducted themselves at that time. Present day voluntary military personnel & demeanor are completely different from the WW's, Korea or VN draft era troops. There is no comparison between the 2. But even if it were, it was unnecessary to subject the audience to 2 hours of retched, despicable behavior. 10 minutes would have sufficed to make the point. No excuse for it.
I don;t agree with her opinion of the film, but I do get a sese where's she's coming from and why she might not have liked the film.

Generally my experience with german culture is that you do get a lot more "ass-and-fart" type of humor there than what you see in slavic cultures and I assume the same thing can be said for american 60s and 70s servicemen.

In general sailors in Poland, like most servicemen actually, often come from poor urban backgrounds and don't mince words. Humor on board could often be vicious and at times lewd. Still, the amount of bodily-related jokes and especially the gay innuendo references would feel very out of place in the Polish navy of the 80s and 90s.
Ardaeshir is offline   Reply With Quote