View Single Post
Old 09-26-13, 02:25 AM   #107
Miggy4000
Commodore

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

Mmmmmm, yes. Well that was certainly a spewing up of opinions there, much like her description of the actors in the movie. The thing that gets me though is that some think all women regard Das Boot in that way. I most certainly don't. To me at least, it's one of the most honest war movies ever made.

I recall, when it was first broadcast on TV here in the UK, I sat and watched it with an elderly friend of mine (now sadly passed away) who served as a First Officer on a MTB during the war. He said that persuasive sense of fear that the movie portrayed was very real indeed and as for their behaviour outside of combat, that was a way that fear was managed. Sailors (no matter what flag they served under) behaved in pretty much the same way in how they dealt with the pressures combat put them under, mainly a powerful sense of relief that they survived and sometimes that would encourage such rowdy behaviour. Either that or they would curl up into a ball and try and shut the rest of the world out. In either case, it shows just how fragile human beings really are.

This is something the reviewer doesn't understand, luckily for her.
Miggy4000 is offline   Reply With Quote