View Single Post
Old 03-07-19, 01:16 PM   #54
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaowl View Post
The thing is, that I considered this kind of basement somehow characteristic for
Wolf Rock (and also Beachy Head and Fastnet).
So I didnīt want to abandon this structure in the first turn.
Especially because it will be relatively easy to change, if the impact on resources seems too big.

The same is valid for the railing.
I am with you on that: within certain limits, better having nicely detailed models to start from than basic ones. As you said, we are always in time to decimate their poly count, and even so, the possibly discarded details can always be used for the baking of nicely realistic ambient occlusion and normal maps

Quote:
In any case I will take your advice and make a reduced LOD-Model.
I really hope that this will do the trick.
Yes, there would be no point in not exploiting this SH5 feature

Quote:
Yesterday I finished the quay or I donīt know how itīs called, because if you watch the
videos of change of shifts on Wolf Rock
https://www.britishpathe.com/video/wolf-rock-relieved
this platform isnīt intented for any ship to dock,

That video gave me vertigo, sea sickness and and a panic attack, the three at the same time lol

Quote:
added a fog horn, a weather vane and a smoke stack,
raised the lantern room floor and – because I wasnīt sure about the scale,
imported for comparision partly the Frogs beautiful Harbour Defense Motor Launch
with one crew member. (I had to scale everything by 10)

The source of the fog horn are mainly the above mentioned videos.
The smoke stack, is sketched in on the plan I use or at least itīs my interpretation of
this pipe on the roof: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ng_drawing.png

This is by no means an exact representation of Wolf Rock, itīs only an approximation.
If you have better information or sources at hand than I have, I would be glad to correct things.
Your interpretation of the videos and drawings you have posted so far, look totally plausible to me, though the grid surrounding the lantern glass, looks a bit to weak for holding the roof in place, if you know what I mean...

50% or more of the time I spend on my models, is usually devoted to research and to guessing shapes and proportions, so I understand you doubts

Quote:
And of course, I have to add the cliff. For this reason Iīm trying to understand, how this ANT-landscape addon works in Blender.
Cool addon, I wasn't aware about it

If you have an heighmap representation of the cliff you want to create, you can use as well the 'displace' modifier

Quote:
Here some pictures again:
Amazing, I can't wait to see it in game

On a side note (sorry for my shameless self-advertising) here is a preview of my next creation, the Chausey lighthouse, in Western Normandy:

As you said, the Channel is not an area we want to transit too often in game, but starting from mid 44 it will become a little busier for us, especially the area that the lighthouse above is located in...
gap is offline   Reply With Quote