View Single Post
Old 10-29-22, 06:12 AM   #4
RoyAn75
Swabbie

Downloads: 86
Uploads: 0

Prop, thank you for the reply

When installing SH4, yes to the shadow game, direct 9c, and adobe being installed along with the game. I tried playing without U-boat add-on first, without success, then installed the U-boat add-on, also from the disk. Tried playing the game but again, same results. I tried to register the game but was sent to a page that is no longer available (not surprised). I started the game using the sh4.exe file inside the game folder (E: drive).

What is strange is when I start SH4, it loads normally, videos do play during opening screens. Menu opens, every button works, game settings work, selecting campaign or single mission works. There isn't anything that indicates a problem.

When the mission begins, the screen where the submarine interior with crew members is black, with "game paused" in the middle. All of the buttons below this screen seems to work. I can move along the selection buttons and they become highlighted. I can change the view of the depth and it changes from imperial to metric and view the ship's log. I can press escape and the selection appears and I'm able to exit to game menu or windows etc. as if nothing is wrong.

The only thing that I have been able to identify that does not work from the bottom of the screen menu is the time selection, it will not change from 0 (game paused).

black screen where the interior of the sub with crew members and cannot get out of game pause.

I thought it might be a video codex problem but the game's codex was installed when installing the game. The problem extends to all versions of SH4 I have so this leads me to believe it is a problem associated with Windows 11 missing an older version of something like Visual C++ but I do have the 2008 version of it as well as 2012, 2013, 2015-2022 with the last three having both x86 and x64 versions.

Everything worked fine from Windows 7, which was upgraded to Windows 10, which itself was upgraded to Windows 11. So the files needed to run the game was passed on from Windows 7 through Windows 11 as each OS was upgraded. This problem only occurred when I had to re-install Windows 11 cleanly, without installing it on top of a previous version of Windows.
RoyAn75 is offline   Reply With Quote