View Single Post
Old 04-05-19, 03:23 PM   #8
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

A file has a different definition in Linux that in Windows. In Linux EVERYTHING is a file, the disk drives, the wireless card, the sound card, absolutely everything is a file. And all Linux file managers that I'm a aware of, Nautilus, Dolphin, Thunar, PC Man File Manager, there are many others, all allow you to open multiple windows and use tabs to manage multiple directories.

I would say all of them are superior to Windows Explorer, even for managing Windows directories. If the Gnome foundation gets its way, however, Gnome and its Nautilus file manager will be so simplified that it will no longer manage files at all. In fact, the Gnome team is very proud to announce that you will no longer be able to put program shortcuts on your desktop soon...... This is called modern streamlining.

But in Linux we don't care because we can trashcan the Gnome desktop and replace it with one of dozens of alternatives. I'm using the Deepin Desktop right now and for the most part love it.

For those directories in Linux that are system protected (not owned by you, but by the system), you can right-click the icon, choose launch as administrator, or enter the terminal (Ctrl-Alt-t) and type "Sudo Dolphin<enter>" You'll be prompted for your password and then you'll have god-like powers of utter destruction.

And remember, in Linux "S" is not equal to "s." They are two completely different characters. We've had fun with that in FOTRSU "data" and "Data" are two totally separate directories between which SH4 cannot discriminate because it's a Windows program. Makes for interesting times when I'm cooking up a new witches brew for the next version....

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 04-05-19 at 03:38 PM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote