View Single Post
Old 02-16-20, 09:59 PM   #3
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

Quote:
Can modern subs come to reset on the bottom of sea floor?
As mentioned for nuclear subs this would be a big no-no. The Main Seawater and Aux Seawater systems would suck up the mud and other debris from the sea floor damaging the pumps and creating a lot of noise in the process. You could shut these systems down, but it wouldn't be feasible as they're needed for the reactor. Also any hull projections would become dammaged.

Quote:
If they do, is it noisier because of contact with the sub and sea bottom?
Thousands of tons of steel making an impact with the sea floor makes a lot of noise. Also take into account that the electrical bus is still going to make noise (60Hz USA, 50Hz Europe).

Quote:
If a sub is not resting on the sea floor how do they maintain a steady position with currents and such? Do they use maneuvering thrusters of some type?
I don't recall which ones now, but some of the fast attacks had trainable Secondary Propulsion Motors that could be deployed. Hovering, to my knowledge, is available on fast attacks as well but is regarded with disdain in it's use. It's seen as a boomers system and there's a little rivalry between the two boat types. Hovering on a boomer is used to maintain depth for missile launch and to assist with depth control at PD. It's not perfect though. We got sucked up to the surface during a Battle Stations Missile drill early in a patrol that resulted in the loss of a radio buoy by beeing smashed against the hull.

Quote:
Would maneuvering thrusters make a lot of noise detectable by the enemy?
Almost certainly unless used at a slow speed. The propellers wouldn't be optimized for stealth the same way the main propeller is, so cavitation would be a problem.

Quote:
However this is one for the sonar bouys here (see what i did there) they will be able to clear that up ET3R is a good chap and good source for that its his field.
I've dabbled in Sonar a little before I became a Radioman. Started working on my Passive Broadband quals and went to a LOFARgram analysis class but that was about it. JiveTurkery is the REAL ping jockey, his sonar knowledge far exceeds mine. I know just enough to know what he's talking about. Radio, ESM, helms/planesman, and lookout were my at-sea watch stations.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote