View Single Post
Old 01-21-21, 10:06 PM   #2636
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0
Default Artwork Praise and a couple of questions (not urgent!)

While you all are fussing with the problems, bugs, and "hidden features" as evidenced by the preceding 3 pages of entries, I thought I'd pass along another compliment. The artwork you have inserted into the "NipponMaru" add-on is fantastic! Such realism there. I also noted that you have "dirtied" up the skins, especially on the marus, to be much more realistic. Perhaps someday, when the artists on the team have time (!) they could add some of that dirt to the explosion upheavals. Now most of them look like a large steam burst, or fire, of course. Having the non-fire blasts have some black and or gray included would just make it so much more realistic IMHO. In comparing the game explosion ejections to some of the films of real explosions out there, the SH4 upheavals seem pretty tame and much smaller. NO biggie to me.

Btw, I am currently getting ready to leave on my fourth patrol out of Tulagi in the Gato. I'm happy to report no adverse incidents encountered in receiving or leaving on patrol assignments. I guess I got lucky when I accepted the command of the Gato before taking the transfer. Since then I have turned down two new subs - in my mind it's too early for a Balao.

Another item is that equipment upgrades, including a refit conning tower and more powerful AA guns are not readily forthcoming in September 1943 in Tulagi. I do have the twin 20mm and the 4" deck gun, and was able to buy the Improved SJ, but I was hoping for the conning tower refit. Maybe if I keep going it will come.

Lastly, there is an upgrade that is puzzling. I can add a bow or stern mount deck gun of the same type I currently have that is paired with a second 20 mm AA gun. I tried that once, but went back to a previous visit to the office because (1) I could not access the 2nd AA gun, and (2) there were no crew slots for the 2nd AA gun. Finding it basically useless, I restored to a previous save and went without.

All that is minor and does not affect my enjoyment of v1.39 plus the NipponMaru add-on. And again, my compliments to whomever added the artwork and modified the skins on the merchies. I salute you!

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote