Old 06-04-16, 11:49 AM   #2
Napalm42
Watch

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhl View Post
With the TDC I am rather confused. A couple of my queries:
1. Does the bow of you sub have to face the target ship?
2. Where do you get the target angle (I assume the compass but so far that hasn't really worked out for me)
3. How accurate must the calculations be? (what's the maximum room of error)
4. Must the sub be at full stop to fire?
5. Is the torpedo depth just the depth of the submarine?

Thanks!
Works a lot like the Silent Hunter series if you've played any of them!

1. Only if you have the TDC computing a straight on attack. Otherwise, you can approach from basically any angle (assuming you have the correct measurements) and the torpedos will correct their trajectory after leaving the tubes.

2. I'm not sure what dial you're asking about, if you're asking about the left dial, that you have to experiment and get to know the destroyer and its silhouette. Imagine that the nose of your sub is at the bottom of the dial. For the right dial, that is simply calculated by noting how many degrees off of the submarine's true heading the periscope (and target) is, and pretending like the sub is in the center of the dial. You input that deviation from the sub's nose in there.

Maxim is working on a PDF or PowerPoint to break down how to use the TDC soon.

3. From what I've found, you can play pretty fast and loose with your angles, so long as they're withing 5 or 6 degrees of true. What's important is the distance. If you under-estimate you'll get early detonations.

4. Nope, the current movement speed of the sub and its direction is taken into account by the TDC.

5. No, it's the depth at which you want the torpedo to sit in the water. Normally, you'd want to make it so that the impact point is deep along the keel, so that as large a breach as possible is made under the waterline. At this point though, we don't know the keel depth and don't have magnetic detonators, so you can use 0 or 1 meter.
Napalm42 is offline   Reply With Quote