View Single Post
Old 04-24-21, 04:12 PM   #39
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Whacko View Post
What was it like at Pearl Harbor? Was it nice and warm and beautiful as the pictures make it seem?
Seventy eight degrees and sunny with an ocean breeze. Malka (mountain) showers in the early morning. Every freaking day of the year.
If its any help, I got to the point where I looked forward to Hurricane Season, at least the weather might change.

Its tough to complain about Pearl Harbor and Honolulu, but we can.

Leaving the base gets expensive very quickly. Living in Hawai'i is not cheap. Almost everything gets to the stores in a ship or an airplane.

Honolulu's economy is mostly based on tourism. That makes Honolulu expensive. Great restaurants with high bills. You get used to it. Be very careful when off-base. EVERYONE smokes Pot but you can't.
There are massive fields of pineapples on the island. Resist the temptation to just grab one. The Dole people don't like it (and they all carry Machetes).

Samoan dudes love to beat people up, its a hobby. They are also fiercely loyal friends once they've beaten you up enough. Its complicated..

To truly understand Hawai'i, go body surfing on the North shore in January. DON'T go alone. Body surfing in January is a lot like playing football where you wind at the bottom of a pig pile at the end of EVERY down. If you don't wind up with scrapes and bruises, you did it wrong.

There's a ton of history on base and on Ford Island. You'll still find damage from bullets and shells on the buildings from Dec. 7th. The Navy preserves it as a reminder to NEVER let your guard down. I found a bunch of cool stuff on Ford Island. The original sounding cannon for the harbor was still there and the launch ramp for the old China Clipper flights is right in the middle of the school complex (NAVSUBTRACINPAC?). Oh yeah, the rats on Ford Island are as large as medium sized dogs. Resist the temptation to make one a pet.
ET2SN is online   Reply With Quote