View Single Post
Old 12-17-12, 11:28 PM   #13
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybermat47 View Post
Have you got a copy of the movie? Put it in, and watch the first scene with the Polish squadron. Pause it at the scene which clearly shows all five of the Hurricanes, and you'll notice that the two at the back have struts on the tail, a feature sported by only one fighter in that theater at the time... the Bf109E.
I have watched it every September 15 for the last 20 years or so, with a couple of exceptions. If you'll notice, several of the "all five" Hurricanes are bombed and blown up. They built a bunch of full-size models just for that purpose, and they had to use struts to support the fiberglass stabilizers. Do you really believe they would completely rebuild a Bf-109 to look like a Hurricane?

Quote:
Like the 4-bladed Bf109 propeller, it's pretty difficult to notice, I only saw it on my fifth viewing.
Then you probably haven't noticed the biggest glaring error of the movie. On several occasions fighters explode. The Spitfires invariably have the wings come off, whereas the real Spitfire's wing was a single piece. The 109s, on the other hand, have the fuselage disintigrate while the 'wing' tumbles down. The real Bf-109 had separate bolt-on wings.

Quote:
And I wasn't laughing at the awesome replicas, I'm quite impressed. I'm just laughing at the fact that a movie used clips from both movies.
Fair enough. Midway has to be the worst movie of the type ever made.