Old 02-06-11, 11:28 AM   #122
crackaces
Watch

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Area Patrol

Quote:
You CAN set the patrol area. It goes like this:
1. Select the TF you want to do an area patrol.
2. Click on the check-mark button to close the order button flyout while keeping the TF selected.
3. Move the cursor to the point where you want the center of the patrol area to be and right-click there.
4. When the orders buttons come up again, select Area Patrol.
5. A slider for patrol radius then appears. This is in MAP "HEXES", not Kms or miles, BTW. Select the desired radius and there you go.

Thanks very much for the clarification. I was assuming meters Ok I have tried this and it works quite nicely.

Quote:
The underlying cause is the necessity of having granularity (call them "hexes" but they're really squares) in the campaign map. Without going into the long technical explanation, suffice to say that when the game has to set up a battle, places like the Channel at night sometimes cause it to have to fudge a bit due to the various rules for how often TFs can engage, plus all the LOS issues in heavily travelled areas. Thus, sometimes your TF isn't where you think it should be. From the POV of the player as Lord High Admiral back in port, you can rationalize this as your commander at sea not always doing what you think is best.

I believe this problem is far worse than rationalization. I would agree with you to blow it off as a commander not following orders if it happened on occasion; however, it totally affects the ability to perform a hit and run strategy near ones port. Let us send some DD's in Zeebruggee as per the Beef Run strategy ... it is inevitable that the Task force will engage ships near Zeebrugee. The strategy of a running home to port can be made impossible. I defeated 4 DD's, a TB, 5 more French DD's each time successfully making it back to port but on the forth loop I am facing 4 more DD's and some TB's and the task force teleported out once again 28 Kilometers from Zeebruggee out of ammo ... I guess I can start over and not try a Zeebruggee Strategy but that just does not seem fulfulling ...

At the very least I hope SES could allow task force division leaders that make it to the blue anchor to stratigically consider the division in port -- and not teleport those elements.

EDIT: In the meantime I had a situation where ships at rest and ships coming to port suddenly started colliding in a massive ball of yarn just because an enemy TB caused the ships at rest to be activated and teleported at the wrong time. Even before the first command could be issued 3 ships sank.

Last edited by crackaces; 02-15-11 at 10:58 PM.
crackaces is offline   Reply With Quote