View Single Post
Old 04-08-11, 10:25 AM   #5
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

@TLAM: Mission creep!!!! (It's not just the sim that takes intial detection for granted; it's part of the mission concept itself)

My understanding was that these would be completely autonomous, save for some commands that could probably be issued by satellite.

My thoughts:

1. I'm troubled by the lack of passive sonar. Not a good one for finding SSKs, I know that's wasted effort (and cost). But a relatively weak one, I would guess anyways, would be useful for keeping track of a sprinting SSK that's trying to shake you loose, as well as help with identifying false returns.

2. What the heck is this thing going to be powered by? The "speed penalty" is so low on the scoring compared to maintaining contact with multiple sensors that it seems it's expected to cruise around at 20+ knots whenever not in contact.

3. It's easy enough to deal with a rogue freighter, but isn't it more likely that the platform running interference would be more like a Boghammar? There isn't anything the operator can do to evade something that is faster and more maneuverable. If these things are programmed not to be within 500 yards of even demonstrably hostile craft, they'll be forced off rather easily.

4. How will the targets (and their respective nations) react to this new trailing method? Will being blasted with MF active continuously from the time they leave port to the time they return cause any psychological issues for the crew (sleep deprivation?). Will destroying one of these create enough of an international incident that the target nation's forces would be deterred from doing so?