View Single Post
Old 04-08-11, 07:38 AM   #1
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6

My comments in regards to ACTUV operations and design.

Now I see quite a bit of potential for these platforms, but as portrayed in the DARPA sim they take one item for granted, the detection of the POSSUB by other assets first. As the name ACTUV implies this craft is for maintaining a trail on a contact of interest. As is in ACTUV Tactics there seems little in the way of initial detection and classification capabilities; The Remora is the only one that had the ability for long range detection. Given the shot range of the HF "Classification" sonar on most ACTUVs (except the easy mode Gator) there needs to be something that can both find targets some distance away and classify them as a contact of interest, given the size of the ACTUV this would be limited but one thing comes to mind: The ALFS on the Seahawk. Both the Seahawk and ACTUV are about the same size and the ALFS had both a good active sonar and passive sonar.

Now a VDS system had rarely been fitted to a submarine but it does offer a unique possibility, use while both streamed and stowed. Mating the transducer to the hull rather than inside of the ACTUV would allow it to be used in any mode. The sub can be cruising and search or it can stop and dip below the layer. In some way a ACTUV so equipped would be like a "Smart Sonobuoy".

Also there is the possibility employing armed ACTUVs close to shore of a hostile nation. The ACTUV is sufficiently large to carry many different weapon systems: it could carry one or more LWTs, it could also carry mine neutralization charges, it could also see a light gun like a .50 cal or 25mm mounted aboard or some kind of encapsulated Javelin ATGM to engage small craft.

Basically there is a lot of possibility in this ACTUV concept beyond the stated "Antisubmarine Continuous Trail" objective.

TLAM Strike is offline   Reply With Quote