View Single Post
Old 01-12-18, 04:14 AM   #10
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

I'm currently playing (amongst other SH games and CW) Silent Hunter 5. Actually it is so that you can walk in every part of your sub, in multiple 3D rooms. But I realize that I'm rarely going in these rooms, they are not necessary for the gameplay.
In Cold Waters this is the same situation. You are playing as a sub commander, and his job is not running through all the sub to give orders, he stays in the command room.

So some 2D screens to elevate the decor of the game would be fine, but there's no need to push a lot of work for additional rooms or so, because it doesn't fit the CW's gameplay. I can hardly imagine what you - as a commander - would reasonably do in such rooms.

SH3 and SH4 have 3 main room parts, just enough to make sense for the player: The command room where you chose the map, the logs etc., the conning tower where you use the sonar, radar, attack periscope, and the bridge. As a 'joke' there is the commander's cabin where you can go to sleep (at Ubisoft people have the means and some extra time to carry out such stuff, not so with a small dev team). And that's it. It makes sense because you are indeed using these rooms in your gameplay and your role of commander.

Years ago I measured the wealth of game companies or developers by how many easter eggs are in the game. Today this doesn't apply anymore.

Last edited by XenonSurf; 01-12-18 at 04:38 AM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote