View Single Post
Old 07-16-05, 05:17 PM   #8
SeaQueen
Naval Royalty

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by XabbaRus
..but I am trying to move away from pure ASW at the moment and move into brown water ops.

My mission I am making is based on rig patrol in Iraqi waters in the gulf and looking out for insurgent craft and bolshy Iran.
I think that's a great idea for a mission!

Unfortunately, I think most of the people who put together scenarios don't have any experience with naval matters. They hear the OHP was designed to chase submarines, which is true, but they lack the experience to see all of the other crazy things they do with them. Their imagination is limited to what they see in certain books. There's not a lot of other places where they can see how things work. Let's face it, warfare at sea is not particularly well covered by the press.

http://www.navy.mil/

publicizes some neat stuff occaisionally. If you check on it regularly, you'll sometimes hear of some amazing adventures that would be fun to try to recreate.

Something that's been bothering me, though, is that I'm having a hard time thinking of scenarios where there's a real chance of taking a hit provided you do everything correctly. Between the CIWS, ECM and AEGIS the most I've figured out how to lose is a helo!

I like to think about how to make scenarios revolving around ESGs and what not. Ultimately, naval battles are motivated by events on land. I like to imagine helo ops in support of Marines. There's other stuff too. Piracy and counter terrorism in the Straights of Malacca could be good material. Supporting counter terrorism operations in someplace weird like Somalia might be interesting.

The fun thing about DW is that it tries to make you feel like you're actually at sea. All of these things are beyond the scope of sims like Harpoon, which best simulate big fleet actions where ASW is a piece of a larger picture. Getting into the littoral, and into harm's way is where DW is most fun.
SeaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote