Thread: Crash Dive 2
View Single Post
Old 11-14-20, 04:51 AM   #43
UnderWaterGamer
Mate

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 2

Thanks for your reply Scott, here are some suggestions on your current system just some realism I guess

Quote:
Basically, you start with a bare-bones late-1941 Gato, and can gradually use the tech tree to upgrade it to the level of an end-of-war Balao. I tried to keep the upgrades as realistic as possible; or at make them seem realistic, even if I have to play with their numbers behind the scenes.
Totally understandable, when you get to that realism peek you'd have to start thinking about simulating the ATOMS of an object !

Quote:
I don't currently limit the upgrades by date; once you have the budget and any prerequisites, you can purchase upgrades at any time through the campaign regardless of when they were actually introduced.
Alright, I would just suggest a Silent Hunter I approach to the tech tree, here is what I mean:
It would introduce tech tree branches (e.g. SD radar, than cut down conning towers) in a "historical order". But it can simply be after each patrol.
So, you would start with a bare bone Gato: 3inch gun, no radar, bulky conning tower, and a deck mounted 50. cal. After your first patrol BurOrd would give you access to the SD air search branch, then after patrol 2 (mid 1942), BurOrd would give you access to AA arsenal (20mm), then conning towers, than deck guns, etc.

You could buy any of the upgrades in this tech tree branch at any time, you would just have to unlock it first

Quote:
I have a low-priority task to add that at some point in the future, but I don't know if it will actually happen (that's a very long list).
Oh yes that was just an example list !

Quote:
The campaign is a sequence of 10 war patrols that take place during specific dates throughout the war. They are connected to historical events through:
1) The briefing/mission orders before each patrol;
2) The patrol area being realistic to where U.S. subs were assigned at that time;
3) FOX radio updates from Pearl Harbor of major events that occur, when they occur.

As of now, I don't try to create e.g. actual enemy ships/convoys at the place where they really were at a particular time. Wading into an ongoing battle is also not an option because I don't have any Allied ships/planes in the game; I always remove the possibility of friendly-fire kills in my games because those just suck all the fun out.
Yes, just your silent Pacific hunter Gato ! Only 3 or 4 wolfpacks were ever formed anyway, the radio messages is a good idea too. Tanker convoys and port raids would be a nice + to have as mission options

Quote:
Hope that answers your questions! Once I can peel myself away from bug fixes and feature additions, I'll start posting video links here.
Yes please !

Good luck with the Game

UWG

Last edited by UnderWaterGamer; 11-15-20 at 06:46 AM.
UnderWaterGamer is offline   Reply With Quote