View Single Post
Old 06-04-09, 04:13 PM   #11
ichso
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 57
Uploads: 0

I think I have to disappoint you there. As you know, you can't just paint some font onto your sub because there is only the right side of it used from a texture file and the left side is just a mirrored version of the right one.

The occlusion map however shows both sides individually but as I understand it, has nothing to do with coloring, just with lighting. It is one of those cheaper tricks to create shadowy effects on 3D objects without calculating actual shadow/lighting values (as would be done in ray traying for example).
So if you draw something on this occlusion map the particular spot will just be left out for shadowing/lighting. I don't understand this to it's fullest effect but it seems as if an area on the occlusion map that you change from this light grey color to something else is just not lighted at all when the texture is mapped onto the 3D object. And not being lighted means that is appears all black in the game.
This side effect can be used to display forms like fonts but no varying colors, I'm afraid.

What we would need would be that the game engine uses different texture information for both sides of the sub, which it simply doesn't do (was that different in SH3 btw ?).
ichso is offline   Reply With Quote