Thread: Shark tactics?
View Single Post
Old 04-04-11, 09:47 PM   #3
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

I agree, I think I'm trying to think of this from a sub's perspective a bit much (and this also goes with the disclaimer that while I know a bunch about modern subs in theory, my 'practice' is rusty - last modern sub game I played was 688i, and even there I relied on a lot of autocrew help. Which is actually about enough "training" for this highly-automated gadget). But stealth aside, you do have to maintain steady contact - and that "fictional SSK" in the game is one dodgy and swift opponent to keep up with sometimes. So stealth aside, there's the practical concern of staying on his back. And I suspect he does react to your moves and bursts, not to mention pinging. Let's not forget, your job here is different from a sub - it's to stick to this guy like a leech, and the Shark's obvious blind spots make that a challenge.

I actually am starting to suspect that Shark is the most likely "real ACTUV" - i.e. its sensors are probably much closer to what's really likely to be deployed. Gator, by comparison, is pretty much "easy mode" with its all-seeing long-range HF sonar.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote