View Single Post
Old 03-07-20, 04:21 PM   #58
Pablo
Commodore

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subnuts View Post
Pretty sure I never read about that part of the Battle of the Atlantic where U-boats with goofy conning tower emblems were doing Age-of-Sail style drive-bys on American destroyers which massively outgunned them.

Yes, I know I'm an idiot for expecting slow-burn tension or realism in a modern war movie.
Hi!

You may want to read about the duel between USS Chatelain and U-515 on April 9, 1944. Here's a picture taken by an aircraft assisting Chatelain. As you can see from the wake of the Chatelain, they were very close indeed. Chatelain is weaving to try to avoid being torpedoed as it crosses the U-boat's bow. You can see the smoke from the ship's guns and the shell splashes around the U-boat.

For SH3 fans, you can read about this in the GWX Manual, where we put in an historical scenario based on this event.

"...far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
- Theodore Roosevelt, speech before the Hamilton Club, Chicago, April 10, 1899
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote