View Single Post
Old 02-28-22, 09:34 AM   #12
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliEs View Post
Now i understand DW gives no answers here. So the Internet or other sources are your friends.

Spruance max range (Top secret or not) of its best installed towed array (AN/SQR-19B(V) TACTAS towed array) is normaly listed at 70nm / hull sonar 40nm.
Because my actual range from Spruance is 14nm i should be very concerned about my safety.
Now the theme "Underwater Sound Propagation" (positioning, sea state, speed, depth etc.) comes into play whether my sub, 14nm away, is traceable or not for the Spruance.
I am re-reading this thread after a while.

There is little point to get range or other capability information from the internet or other sources. You are playing a game for which the developers made up their own model. It has their values put in to provide a gameplay experience whatever they felt appropriate to make.

Then the internet, or whatever public written source, cannot be relied on to keep you safe in the game. The information you are looking for is mostly secret anyway. If something is written then it is wrong, or simply not the same as reality. Because lives depend on it being not known to the enemy.

If you really want to know, try it out in the editor. Put down an enemy ship or sub. Place down your own playable platform. Go test it out in different conditions. As there is no hard rule on distance or speed when you get detected or detect others. It is variable. Then you find the facts from the game. The only ones that matter to your succes. You play in a virtual world, so you need the virtual facts. Not the real facts in this case.

In other way of playing, just try it out to carefully approach in the mission you are doing now (or back then). With the save/load option close at hand. Trial and error, respawn when you died because of the wrong choice. Be more careful every next time.