View Single Post
Old 01-13-16, 09:58 PM   #194
nsomnia
Weps

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 0

I'm seriously thinking of getting back into this again, I've been playing with vehicle physics (big trucks and tanks with suspension and trailers) and could get a playable game in very little time.

At the end of January I'll have near infinite time on my hands to spend re-blocking out the Nautilus's interior and giving it a quick texture job in Substance Painter as well as continuing to code on the Ocean setup.

A weather system, sea floor generation, coasts/ports and maps are the biggest issues.

A full blown cold war sub simulator accurate down to some nitty gritty details that allows you just infinite travel and battle at random though. No problem...

Edit: We have time multiplication (and slow down too maybe) down. Realtime is realtime no matter how many frames per second your getting and is multipliable as fast as your computer can keep up.

I see my trello board is still up with my old ideas, I might do some sketching of the blocked out models to do later this month.

Edit: Some screens from our current demo version of the ocean setup that isnt public yet but incorporated underwater fogging and a few more visual fixes as well as a simple and very early setup of the marching cube algorithim for coastline generation, but seafloor is still static outside of handbuilt levels and I dont fancy creating the entire earths seafloor by hand.

Sorry about the size.
When I have time I'll make a video showing the new surface ship flotation physics model that uses a simple (16-64 triangles) hull to allow the boat to be affected in realtime by the waves. For surfaced subs too of course. Underwater is still more "space" like but I already have lots of ideas for flotation by pumping tanks dry/wet and runnning compressors floating around in my head.

some other new stuff I probably forgot to mention after such a long absense:

Got the wave manipulation computation way way less taxing of a computation by using a generated heightmap and also by making sure shared triangle verts arnt calcuated more than once. This has been giving me a bigger insight into some idea on how to incorporate real weather and not just bigger waves. IE a spiral post process to the heightmap might be able to create hurricane like looks, only testing will tell.
Anything with buoyancy has water drag simulated.
Very simple prop wash/cavitation that increases with blade pitch and RPM and decreases with blade count.
A very effective system for generating "sounds" that whatever setup I use as a working concept for sonar can "pick up" on (probably use the AI's hearing senses built into the engine)

Edit: I found this on Reddit which looks like it will be quite helpful in getting another part of simulation out of the way: latitutde heat changes, should be easy enough to port to blueprints or UE4's API.
http://www.jgallant.com/procedurally...csharp-part-3/

Linking for my own memory.

Last edited by nsomnia; 01-13-16 at 10:37 PM.
nsomnia is offline   Reply With Quote