View Single Post
Old 09-29-19, 02:53 PM   #9
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmbbo View Post
Some time ago I changed torpedo firing to CTRL ENTER.... IMO many of those actions are begging for keystroke alternatives. Is a list of commands published on SS and are they as straightforward as the torp firing edit?
Joe S, in his initial post, asked for a way to delete the Enter key from firing a torpedo; leaving him only the red fire button on both scopes and the UZO to use. While I have never done that, I suggested in my post 3 the edit to [Cmd313] in the Commands file that would most likely work for him. That being the elimination of the keystroke line or the placement of a ";" at the very beginning of the keystroke line.

I also suggested the alternative edits to [Cmd313] that would make "CTRL+ENTER" or "SHIFT+ENTER" the keystroke to fire torpedoes. Over the years of playing SH3 & SH4, I have numerous accidental firing of torpedoes with both ENTER and CTRL+ENTER; so, I have recently gone to SHIFT+ENTER which is less likely to give me said problem.

In my post 5, I listed 24 additional keystrokes that I use that I don't think are included in the stock game, while some of them but not all, have probably been added to the various mega-mods. I use Webster's GFO and I know that he edited his keyboard functions to include a good number of them.

In my post 7, I listed a few CMD #s that relate to Joe S later post. I did not list the keystroke edits because they will depend on what keys are available to add or edit, which depends on your particular mega-mod and/or any previous edits to your Commands file. Many of the keystrokes are holdovers from SH3 and SH3 mega-mods that were used by the developers and moders in SH4.

You asked if there was a list of commands published on SubSim and are they as straightforward as the change to the ENTER command. To my understanding, there is no list published by SubSim. I've come across one other SH4 player that published an excel file of his fairly extensive list of his keystrokes. You can easily see a list of the commands by opening up a Commands file under this path: SH4 Wolves of the Pacific/data/Cfg/Commands and reading the list. The easy part is that they are all named and fairly self-explanatory. The hard part in making major modifications is know which keys are empty or which keys you can easily switch around to make the keyboard more playable.

I began editing of my Commands file after installing Webster's GFO mod. He had already made additions and edits to his Commands file and its layout pretty much followed SH3 which I was quite familiar with. Webster also left many of the non-used or edited keystrokes in tact by placing ";" in front of them so I had a fairly complete list of numerical keystrokes to use.

For example, ;Key0=0x0D,,"Enter" for instance. Key0=0x0D is the actual "enter" key's numeric number. The empty 2 commas ,, in the middle shows that it is not in combination with shift or control or other modifier. The last part, "Enter" is the name of the key. And the ; in front of the full text ;Key0=0x0D,,"Enter" means delete, disable or do not use in this program. Key0=0x0D,,"Enter" means use the enter key in this program.

If one adds a lower case c between the 2 comas such as Key0=0x0D,c,"CTRL+Enter" This becomes the combination control + enter. If it was Key0=0x0D,s,"SHIFT+Enter" It is now the combination of shift + enter.

You start by making 1 or 2 adds or edits at a time and then going to one of the sub-school missions to try it out. If it works, save that file, make some notes of what you did and go on to another add or edit. In each case, save every good file with a new version number and then go on to some future changes. I'm up to version 7.9

Most of you already know this stuff, and this is quite simple stuff compared to what some of you do, but maybe there's one or two of you that will learn something new. I know this is a windy reply but I hope it is helpful.