View Single Post
Old 07-07-19, 09:59 PM   #5
jimmbbo
Run silent, run deep

Downloads: 59
Uploads: 0

Thanks, Captains... some interesting options... From the comments so far, it is clear that depth and quiet are our friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkerov View Post
...an attack from 3000-4000 yards makes it significantly harder for them.
If it were me, I would consider firing a spread from the rear tubes and then heading away underwater at high speed. I would only slow down after my fish have hit home in that situation because I want to gain as much separation from my firing point as possible. Another thing to consider, is that the only information they have after things start exploding is the bubble wake from your mk 14s. This wake also dissipates over time, so by firing from long range, the destroyers might not estimate your firing point correctly and therefore start searching in the wrong place.

Interesting option... I like the stern tube idea and use it for single targets, but often I use all six forward tubes to hit several convoy targets. Have had spotty results getting solid hits on 3000+ yard shots, and likely have a higher percentage in my standard deeper water procedures.

Unsure about departing at high speed after a stern shot, as the DDs would be in my baffles, won't have a problem hearing the high speed getaway and could likely come up on me undetected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Just for the shallow water patrol missions, I would only attack at night or in bad weather when in / near shallow waters.
Night/bad wx is worth a shot, but IMO deep water is my friend, and we roll the dice any time above 150 ft or the thermal layer.

Any other thoughts?

Cheers!
jimmbbo is offline   Reply With Quote