View Single Post
Old 12-24-10, 01:00 PM   #752
Tessa
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.sie View Post
@Tessa: If I start to model chloride/battery damage, I'll try to directly affect crew health values instead of modelling it by exploding mines. To be honest: I fear these changes, because I fear changes are too complex for being fixed in Assembler.

Unfortunately, I don't understand your last question about 4GB patch. But anyway I give you an answer:

1) Make a backup of your original sh3.exe

2) Patch it to V15D

3) Apply 4GB patch.

This should not take longer than 3-7 minutes. If something went wrong, restore original sh3.exe.

h.sie
Hi h.sie

Regarding the 4gb I think I have the info I need. To install this mod correctly it needs an unmodified sh3.exe file? All the changes your mod makes directly changes the sh3.exe file, or does it modify any other files as well? Additionaly, down the road if/when you get the battery gas mod working will you most likely need to repeat the same process used to install the mod now (since I need the 4gb patch which modifies the sh3.exe file, would I then need an unmodified sh3.exe to apply the new mod to)?

Being able to damage the crew directly would be the quickest and easiest way to model the effects; as you point out it will be difficult. After looking at some of the modding/developer tools I didn't see any direct way of doing what needs to be done, I fear that the result may end up in a ctd. Without a direct source of damage to make the crew start loosing health (from the games perspective) for no apparent reason is likely to conflict with controls in place causing a ctd.

If there was a way you could invert the healing function that might be another place to look. Since the batteries are located in the rooms required for an injured crew member to recover health, inverting the function to do the opposite could produce stable results. Upon entering the room instead of beginning to recover you would just start to loose health.

I have very little experience when it comes to assembly code, I know you can pretty much use it to manipulate the machine into doing anything you want it to, even if it violates rules that will cause other problems leading to a core dump/endless loop. The game may continue to run perfectly until that function is needed and then you get an immediate ctd. I fear that is going to be the likely outcome w/o the sdk or a developer that worked on/is familiar with how the game calculates and causes damage to crew members when the ship is damaged from dc's or airplanes.
Tessa is offline   Reply With Quote