View Single Post
Old 06-24-17, 12:07 PM   #70
Kazuaki Shimazaki II
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nippelspanner View Post
So, As a player in the role of a SSN captain I cannot expect my crew to vocally inform me about what's going on, like in the real thing, I need to do so myself or rely on stupid tiny text, hard to spot and with no log, especially when the action is on and while I have to drive the friggin' boat myself, literally pushing the crew out of the way?

Really?
Let me put it this way, I have one eye blind and the other is barely 20:40, corrected. I can still keep up with that "stupid tiny text". And I'll tell you, I've broached my boat before (multiple times) but I don't blame the game when it happens.

What you are arguing for is formal realism, and I've given you my thoughts on this on Post #53 & #58. They have already tried this approach in the 688I through Dangerous Waters series. I have enjoyed all those games. However, because of that, I am also aware of its weakness - because ultimately, you are not driving a real sub in a real, lethal fight, all that aid plus none of the complications means your Net Cognitive Load is much lower than a real submarine captain, even counting all the training he has and you don't. This is reflected in the frequent use of the Time Compression and 3D view systems - the game isn't stimulating you enough.

Have you considered that part of the point of the manual TMA, sonar and fire control systems (and even the Flood, Equalize and Muzzle Door buttons) in the 688-DW line is to give the otherwise bored player something to do? If it is really about formally simulating the sub commander's experience, those parts will be fully automated. However, to perform at those stations at a level sufficient to beat the AI is not in general difficult (and I am saying this as a person who has no illusions of being a really good player) so you still wind up with a lot of time to spare. Plus, if you need more time, there's always the Almighty Pause button (which has nothing to do with reality, of course).

Cold Waters has another solution to this problem - take away most of the aid you've been getting and make the enemy really lethal. And you know what? It works. As you tacitly admit, now you are task overloaded - your Cognitive Load is now much closer to a real commander in the thick of it. So you have to ask yourself, whether you prefer to be underworked in a subsim that formally reflects reality while actually not, or whether you want to feel like you are working just like a real submarine captain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dergrunty View Post
No problem: I infer from the ~10 P3 Orions overflying the norwegian sea, day and night, that the soviets do infact not have air supriority.
You saw *10* P3s? I generally only see one or two at most in the map.