View Single Post
Old 08-06-21, 06:16 PM   #5
Kpt. Weyprecht
Gunner

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 0

Thanks for your replies!
So my thinking wasn't that bad. I had noticed the use of millimeter paper. I used to draw archaeological plans on it, I suppose they did that to simplify scale calculations. By the way, do you know what sort of scale they used for fire-control? I only remember the US dead reckoning maual specyfying that in case of a Man Overboard, the plotters are to switch to a scale of 200 yards per inch, so something between 1:10 000 and 1:25 000.
There was also the emergency procedure of the "Halifax plot", very Wolfpack-style byt not suitable for combat.

So, for dead reckoning and tactical plotting, they would just draw a new course line, and possibly round the corners somewhat out of experience? Very much like in the case of my archeaological drawings, beginners tended to take lots of measures while experienced people were able to deal with much fewer measurements and just freehand draw the rest?

As for the maneuvering boards, it seems to be an incredibly convenient way of getting around the difficulties of a world-centric plot, but then why didn(t everybody use them all the time?
Kpt. Weyprecht is offline   Reply With Quote